Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 52 - Supplements

Over the last few weeks, I've added some supplements to my juice routine. My spirulina arrived in the mail, so I take a tablespoon of that when I'm having a straight fruit juice.

Bee pollen is specifically recommended for protein. I've added it back in, especially since I've been working out a lot, but I don't really like it, so it's tough to get down. I have a basic rule about not consuming foods Idon't enjoy, so rather than push myself so hard to get the pollen down, I try to up my greens and get more protein that way. Pollen has lots of other great benefits, but it's not working for me.

Hemp seed oil has a perfect balances of omega-3 and omega-6. Under normal circumstances, I'd much prefer the nutrition of the whole seed, but on a juice feast, this supplement helps prevent my fat consumption from going too low. 1 tablespoon each day.

Kelp granules are pleasant tasting, and provide iodine and other nutrients. MSM is a sulphur compound, which supports healthy skin, hair, and nails.

I still take my daily supplements of probiotics, DHA, and Vitamin D3. I normally take a multi with B-12, but I need to restock on that.

It seems like a long list of supplements, but they're all fairly unobtrusive. Pop a tiny pill or take a teaspoon, and I'm done. I'm not a huge fan of pills and potions, but I accept that my diet is always imperfect, and select supplements can shore up any weaknesses

No comments: